10-15 minutes | Serves 4-5
Late winter through early spring is citrus time and we are sourcing these beautiful, dark orange-pink fleshed Cara Caras from Buck Brand in Terrabella, CA, via Organically Grown Company.
The Cara Cara orange is a juicy sweet citrus fruit, only in season during late winter: January - April. Compared to traditional navels, Cara Caras are sweeter, slightly sour, yet less acidic, with a hint of red fruit like cranberry. They are also a wonderful source of Vitamin C.
In this dish, they are enjoyed in a sweet & savory salad alongside raw, crunchy fennel, aromatic fresh herbs and toasted Oregon hazelnuts!
What you’ll receive:
- Sliced Cara Caras
- Oregon Hazelnuts
- Fresh Organic Mint
- Fresh Organic Cilantro
- Sliced Organic Red Onion
- Sliced Organic Fennel
- The Minnow’s Dijon Vinaigrette
What you’ll need:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or foil. Preheat your oven to 350F°.
- Set the dressing on the counter to let it come to room temperature by plating time.
- Arrange the hazelnuts on the prepared pan and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Transfer to the oven to toast until fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pluck 1/3 cup each of the cilantro and mint leaves from their stems and roughly chop the herbs together. Roughly chop the hazelnuts.
- Arrange the citrus, thinly sliced onions, thinly sliced fennel, chopped herbs, and toasted hazelnuts on a plate.
- Give the dijon vinaigrette a good shake or stir to re-emulsify, and pour over everything, season with salt and a few cracks of pepper, and enjoy!