15-20 minutes | Serves 2-3
These drumstick plus thigh quarters are the juiciest and most flavorful part of the bird, end of discussion! This technique keeps the skin crispy and packs a layer of incredible fatty umami akin to bacon.
What you’ll receive:
- 2 Pasture Raised Whole Chicken Leg Quarters (1.4-1.5lb)
NOTE: may arrive partially frozen to ensure freshness. Store in the refrigerator to defrost before cooking. To rapidly defrost, place the sealed package in a bowl of cold water, and leave it in the sink with the tap running into the bowl in a thin stream for about 30 minutes.
What you’ll need:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pure Kosher Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Spices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Adjust an oven rack to the lowest part of your oven.
- Remove the chicken from the packaging and pat dry with a paper towel. Season on both sides with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few cracks of freshly ground pepper. If using spices, add them here.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or oven-safe pan over medium-high heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown and the thighs release from the pan, about 5 minutes. Use a fish spatula or flat metal spatula to peek under each thigh periodically while they cook to make sure they are searing evenly and not burning.
- Flip the chicken to skin side up and pop them into the bottom shelf of your oven to roast along with your veggies at 425 degrees.
- Roast the chicken until it is no longer pink and the juices run clear (if you have a temperature probe handy, it should be 165°F), about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy alongside your meal bundle!